Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, December 13, 2022

ROUGH DRAFTING

I am getting a jump on my New Year's resolutions for 2023.

I don't have a specific habit in mind. Instead, I want to focus on a mindset - one I have learned from my daily writing. 

Regular blogging has taught me that if I wait until ideas are perfectly formed in my head before I begin to write them down, I spin my wheels endlessly. And nothing gets accomplished. 

But when I embrace imperfection and start with putting a crummy draft down on paper, I make progress.

And once I have started, I find that improving the piece of writing - the revision process - becomes more than tolerable. It becomes enjoyable. 

Like my little writing projects, many of my work and personal tasks cause me to drag my feet. Especially the most important ones! I wait to get started, hoping the thing will take shape perfectly once inspiration hits. But it never works that way.

So this next year I plan to be on the lookout for these sorts of tasks and - when I catch myself stalling - reframe them as "rough drafts" from which to learn and to improve as I move forward. 

2023 will be my year to make more mistakes! 😉 

No comments:

Post a Comment