Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, March 31, 2022

WILLING TO CHANGE

Today I heard a podcast guy say we should feel free to put our opinions out there in public only if we are also willing to change our minds.

Easier said than done.

But what this man said is exactly the way I try to approach putting my opinion out there: "This is what I think, but I may well be wrong." I enjoy a good debate. 

It's rare these days to find someone who reciprocates. Who doesn't go straight to ad hominem attacks. Or go stomping off angry.

If you and I disagree about something, I WANT to hear your side. I EXPECT to hear your side. And I will listen intently.

And sure, I would love to change your mind. But I don't HAVE to. 

And I truly don't expect to.

But I have been known to change my mind. I call it "learning". 

Anyway, the podcast comment reminded me that I should now and then say that this is also my intended approach here. I may sound very opinionated. Because I am. 

But I don't assume I am right about everything. My mind changes.

I welcome pushback. Friction is the only way that iron sharpens iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment