Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

FACEBOOK FACADE

Yesterday I stalked the Facebook profile of a pastor I used to work with. 

I had heard he had left his wife to move in with another woman. As one might reasonably expect, in doing so he severed the ties between himself and his wife, his children, and his grandchildren.

Apparently he has no contact with any of them.

Since Facebook is the version of our lives we put on display for the rest of the world to see, I confess to having a morbid curiosity about what his "wall" would look like. (We weren't currently friends on Facebook because we were never friends in real life.) 

If it were me, my wall would have gone blank the day I stepped away from the marriage. When you walk away after detonating an emotional bomb in the midst of everyone dearest to you, how do you get onto Facebook with random pictures of your cat ever again?

Yet there he was. With pictures of his pets, selfies while giving blood, and posts taking a moral stand against Florida's so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill. 

And a particular post wishing that everybody could find love and friendship like he has. This post is accompanied by a photo of him with a woman I don't recognize. 

After processing my feelings, I can sincerely say I don't stand in judgment of him. 

My heart aches for his wife and children and grandchildren. 

And, ultimately, my heart aches for him as well. If your professed faith in Christ isn't lived out in the relationships with those people closest to you, how can it possibly be real? 

Regardless of how you present it on Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment