Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

ASH WEDNESDAY

Come Ash Wednesday, Melissa and I find ourselves wishing we were part of a church that was a bit more ... liturgical.

Did the modern American church have to jettison ALL tradition in order to be cool and contemporary?

And out of all the seasons on the Christian calendar, why did we preserve Advent alone? (And am I being overly critical or does it often feel like Advent is just the churchy equivalent to "only 4 more shopping weeks until Christmas"?)

Anyway, it would be nice to see an Ash Wednesday service on our church calendar, but there isn't one. I don't suppose there are too many left out there. 

But I suppose that Lent was always a tough sell, being the season of "repentance" and all. 

As a modern American Christian, I am not too keen on the idea that I have any repenting to do. 

How about you?

Maybe that's why we need Lent back on our calendar...

1 comment: