Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

FRICTION

As I have slowly read through Matthew and now Acts, it is really striking just how much conflict and controversy was generated by the preaching of God's Kingdom and, later, the preaching of Jesus as the Christ.

Ridicule. Mockery. Beatings. Stonings. Shunnings. Imprisonment. Crucifixion. 

In fact, I am forced to conclude that any true Kingdom work is going to result in conflict and controversy, even today. 

Why wouldn't it? Humans are naturally resistant to God's will. Even fellow believers. Even you and me!

If we weren't, why would we be instructed to pray on a regular basis that the Father's will be done on earth as it is in Heaven?

When I was younger - and less familiar with the Bible - I figured times of smooth-sailing were proof of God's blessing. The evidence that I was at the center of God's will.

These days I can't really imagine carrying out God's will in any meaningful way without it bringing conflict and controversy. At least in spurts. 

As the Kingdom of God advances, there is always going to be powerful friction in the opposite direction - from both inside us and outside us. From believers and non-believers. From individuals as well as structures. 

If we hope to serve God in a meaningful way, we need to be ready to face the conflict that comes our way. 

We need not run from it.



"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; 
be strong!" - 1 Corinthians 16:13

2 comments:

  1. This is what I remind myself on the days we struggle with the kids, which is seemingly more and more often lately.

    ReplyDelete