Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

GETTING IT BACKWARDS

 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."  Matthew 10:16

I believe it was author and song-writer John Fischer who I heard once expounding on Matthew 10:16 as he spoke and performed at Asbury Seminary for a special event back in the late 90s while I was a student there. Anyway, it seems like something he would say.

Even if I am uncertain of the speaker, I do clearly recall what was said:

"Jesus told his followers to be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. My experience is that too many Christians have gotten this exactly backwards: They are mean as snakes and dumb as birds." 

I remember being impressed with the clever turn of phrase.

And discouraged by the accuracy of the assertion. 

In the decades since I first heard this sentiment, I have, unfortunately, too often experienced both meanness and idiocy at the hands of self-professed Christians (as hinted at elsewhere in this blog). 

What Fischer said is true. Sometimes Christians are mean as snakes and dumb as birds. 

But I strive to forgive, recognizing that I too have been mean and dumb at times. 

Even so, we are called to shrewdness and innocence, so stupidity and meanness among Christians should be called out and challenged ... in a spirit of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment