Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 100 - The Message (Sell)

On Day 100 it is great to have a SELL and one that is a win/win for all but a bookstore in Shelbyville.  When I listed on Day 88 the Bibles I had found around the house and which were bound for Papua New Guinea, I mentioned that I had a copy of The Message.  If you haven't read any of The Message, you really should.  It is Eugene Peterson's modern English version of Scripture.  I find it especially helpful in bringing a fresh perspective on familiar passages. 

I had hesitated on whether or not I would send it with the Bibles to Papua New Guinea.  The folks collecting the Bibles had specified no King James Versions, so I got the impression they were looking for translations in modern English.  Although The Message can be useful, it is not strictly speaking a translation.  Peterson does take some literary liberties with the text. 

My copy was a hard bound book for which I had paid $40 many years back.  My future sister-in-law sent me a message on Facebook saying she wished she had seen my posting earlier - she had just gone out and purchased a copy of The Message for my brother  ... for $50!

She further explained how she'd be glad to return it to the store ... if I were selling my copy for less.

I wrote back and said my copy was only $49.99.

We haggled... and settled on $25.  Win/win!

And unlike most of my "Sells" so far, this one is actually a done deal - the book is in Russ' hands and the check is in mine.  That's another $25 in our Haiti fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment