Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 86 - Vintage Star Wars Posters (Give)

At first I was going to let my kids enjoy these posters for a while before tossing them out, but then I got to thinking - it doesn't look good to have a bunch of ancient posters taped to the walls when you're staging a house to sell.  (Not that we've had anyone yet express interest in seeing the house!)

Then it occurred to me that I have a mega-Star Wars fan among my students this year.  Let's just call him Obi Wan for our purposes here.  Well, Obi Wan loves all things Star Wars - he will actually blurt out random Star Wars quotes in class.  Which is amusing.

Here is the only problem:  his love for Star Wars includes all six movies.  As if they are on equal footing!  I cannot allow such wrongheaded opinion to stand unchallenged!  Obi Wan and I have had numerous debates about the worthiness of Episodes 1, 2 and 3 - and, I am proud to say, I have made some headway.

Because I was a kid when the first Star Wars movie debuted (Episode 4 - A New Hope), I am one of those who loved the first three films and then was absolutely disgusted by the 3 prequels.  What beautiful, computer-generated garbage they are!  George Lucas produced three great movies and then turned into the Bride who goes all out on her hair, wedding dress and cake but puts no thought into the marriage ceremony itself. 

I hate to crush Obi Wan's enthusiasm for those three movies, but as an English teacher, I am compelled - by law! - to point out that all the special effects in the world can't replace PLOT and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. 

And there's simply no excuse imaginable for Jar Jar Binks.



Anyway, maybe giving these posters to Obi Wan makes up a bit for bursting his Phantom Menace bubble.  Honestly, I have to tell you that his gratitude for the four or five posters I gave him was something to behold! He was beaming. He actually offered to pay me for them, but I refused.  And when I saw him leaving the building after school, he yelled his thanks down the hallway again.

No comments:

Post a Comment