Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 49 - "Finding God in The Lord of the Rings" (Give)

OK, another book - I've got hundreds of them.  I saw this title and immediately thought I should tag this one for one of my Honor students ... I will call him Nerd Supreme here, since I don't want to publish his real name here on the internet for privacy reasons.  I don't think he'd take offense to the title of Nerd Supreme either, so don't worry - he's not going to get mad at me (I hope).  For one thing, he knows that I myself am a proud fellow nerd.  Besides, he is one of those rarest of creatures in America's high schools: an individual who relishes, even celebrates, his uniqueness and does not seem bothered by anyone else's opinion.  Now several other students in my classes would fit that description as far as it goes, but what makes Nerd Supreme unusual is that he does this in a positive, rather than negative, fashion.  (e.g. He doesn't dye his hair some funky color - He enthusiastically talks about the books - plural - he is currently reading to anyone within earshot.)

I figure Nerd Supreme would appreciate this particular book partly because, hey, it's about Lord of the Rings.  But also because NS has an obvious interest in church and spiritual matters.  I hope he finds something of interest in this book.

Here's a quote from the final chapter of the book that's worth a ponder.  But it's from C.S. Lewis rather than Tolkien (they were good friends, by the way):
"Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists.  A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food.  A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water.... I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probably explanation is that I was made for another world."

No comments:

Post a Comment