Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 37 - PVC Cross (Throw)

I think I've been carrying this cross around for at least ten years.  (And I'm talking about a literal cross, not some figurative, spiritual cross ... it's been in a box.)  It's made of PVC pipe and it is designed to hold grape juice.  It was a prop for a mime skit that I used to perform in my youth ministry days.  It was a pretty cool skit and I would tell you all about it if I could remember how it went!  I do remember that one actor played the role of Mary and another plays Joseph and they open a gift box labeled "From God".  Inside is a loaf of bread which Joseph tenderly removes and hands to Mary who then wraps the loaf in a cloth and cradles it in her arms like a baby.  It's a powerful image, especially since the juice is in the cross awaiting the end of the skit, leading into a communion service which makes use of that same bread and juice.  I remember it being a quite powerful drama ... I just don't remember IT.

I'm sure there's someone out there who can remind me how the skit went exactly and what song we used as the background music.  (And even which youth group I used it with!)  Melissa could probably remind me, but she's busy right now and I don't want to bother her.  She will be glad, though, to see that the cross is finally gone.  I found it several weeks ago in the garage, brought it inside, and it's been floating around our house ever since... until she banished it to the back deck a few days ago.  I kept thinking, "I put a lot of work into this cross - making sure it was leak-proof and sturdy - surely I can find some use for it myself- or find someone who could use it..."  It's a shame to toss it, but that's the way it goes. 

What bothers me most about it is how bad it shows my memory to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment