Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 36 - Kermit Clein Poster (Throw)


Yeah, this thing is obnoxious.  I'm a big Kermit the Frog fan, but I have my limits.  I don't remember now if this poster was something I bought or something someone gave me, but ... what the Dickens??

This poster was first produced in 1994, but you can still get one on Amazon.com for $8.99!  ("Only three left in stock - order soon!")

When I rediscovered this poster the other day, my first thought was that I would take it to my classroom and hang it on the wall for a while instead of just throwing it in the trash and "wasting it".  But when I took a second look at it, I saw something that wasn't really meant to be some fashion statement back in the 90s, but now it is unavoidably conspicuous:  Kermit has DROOPY DRAWERS!  At least I don't have to see him from the back side, but if that much of his underwear is showing from the front, you better believe there's plenty showing in the back.  And the Droopy Drawers look is one of my pet peeves.

"Pet peeve" isn't even exactly the right term.   When I see a teenager who sports the Droopy Drawers look, I feel an odd desire both to pity and to mock said teen.  To intentionally wear a piece of clothing in the most uncomfortable way imaginable while causing yourself to walk funny, all in order to call attention to your underwear, seems to me to be one of the most pathetic displays of the power of teenage peer pressure imaginable. 

I, for one, will not perpetuate this travesty of fashion (and teenage self-esteem) by displaying this poster.  So droopy drawers Kermit goes into the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment