Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 44 - German Tin and Random Buttons (Give)

A student came up to me at school today (our last day for the semester... yay!) and said, "You still got that Coke box?  I'd like to buy it for my mom for Christmas - she collects Coke memorabilia and she was born in Chattanooga."  So he gave me $30 for it... and that goes into a fund to get us to Haiti this summer. 

Tonight I found an octagonal tin from Germany (which came filled with "Nurnberger Oblatenlebkuchen").  For the last ten or fifteen years, though, it's been filled with random buttons (the campaign-style buttons, not the zipper-alternative-type buttons).  The buttons range from a vintage Nancy Reagan Era "Just Say No" button to a "Grundy County (Illinois) Corn Festival 50th Anniversary" button (September 23-27, 1998). 

I used Facebook to offer the tin to a former student who has taken several years of German class and the buttons to Interested Party #2 from last night. 

I need to start wrapping up some of my random possessions to give as Christmas gifts!

I've got a blog to recommend tonight:  mshaiti.blogspot.com.  It is posted by Matt and Stacey Ayars who oversee the Emmaus Seminary in Haiti.  You should especially read their post on "Haiti Fatigue" - it is excellently worded and very thought-provoking.  Check it out at http://mshaiti.blogspot.com/2010/12/haiti-fatigue.html !

No comments:

Post a Comment