Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, August 31, 2024

UNDENIABLE

How much time needs to elapse before you start to take someone's presence for granted?

Apparently three and a half months is enough to do it for me.

After graduating from Olivet in May, Hannah was around the house all summer.  

Then I spent 24 hours with her in Myrtle Beach, unloading the truck, setting up furniture, buying her some starter groceries, and it wasn't  nearly enough.

While we walked Ginger around her apartment complex this morning, I couldn't help but wonder if my future son-in-law could be behind one of the doors. And don't tell Hannah, but it also crossed my mind as I drove past a local school, that 20 years from now I could be inside for the graduation of a grandchild. 

But one step at a time. First things first: I am praying that she finds fulfillment in her work and deep friendships on the job (and elsewhere) and a vibrant church to get involved in.

She and I cried a little when she dropped me off at the Myrtle Beach airport. I am an expert at denial, but there comes a point when the reality of change is simply undeniable. The airport was that moment for me.

Still, I can't be sad. Hannah is heading on to better things.

We stopped by her future workplace briefly on the way to the airport and I forced her to get out of the car for a picture.

She starts her new position on September 9th. The best is yet to be!





No comments:

Post a Comment