Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, August 18, 2024

STARTING OVER

Tomorrow I start a new part-time job as an adult English teacher to recent immigrants.

I'm a little nervous about the time commitment. (I will be in class twice a week, 3 hours at a time.)

But I am also getting a little excited about this opportunity and the chance to get to know these individuals.

Last week I shadowed a couple of different teachers so I could get an idea of how things run and the people I met were so sweet and earnest and grateful. 

Whatever else you might say about immigrants, their life in the U.S. is far from easy. It's tough navigating a foreign culture and its systems when you don't know the language. 

And for some, the move to the U.S. demanded large sacrifices.

I met a sweet Haitian woman from Port-au-Prince who is now living in Columbus and working hard to learn English. She was dignified and feminine and beautiful. 

I asked her what she was doing for work here and I was surprised to hear she is stocking shelves at Lowes. A very physically demanding job.  

When I asked her what she had been doing for work in Haiti before she left the country, she dropped her eyes and sadly uttered one word: Lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment