Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, August 15, 2024

A LARGER WORLD

Growing up in Haiti, our youngest, Sarah, had six classmates in school on average and three friends around home. And those two groups overlapped by two. 

There were some strong personalities in that little group. And a few odd behaviors.

Still, they generally got along. If they argued, matters were settled quickly and peace returned immediately. They studied together, crafted together, climbed trees together, and played in the mud together. 

Sometimes I felt a little guilty for putting my kids in a situation where they had so few friendships. 

Since our return to the U.S. I have felt much less guilt over our years in Haiti.

I doubt that Sarah has ever heard of G.K. Chesterton, but she experienced the truth of what he once wrote about living in small communities:

"The man who lives in a small community lives in a much larger world. He knows much more of the fierce varieties and uncompromising divergences of men. The reason is obvious. In a large community we can choose our companions. In a small community our companions are chosen for us."

I remember what Sarah said to me through tears one night some time after we returned to the States. She and I had travelled to Mississippi to visit with one of her best friends from our family's days in Haiti. 

Sarah told me that night she didn't want to return to Columbus. She didn't want to go back to her American middle school. She missed her small friendship circle in Haiti.

"In Haiti, we had to get along. Even if you thought someone was weird, you still had to get along or you would be all alone. And over time you would come to appreciate them. My friends in Columbus are so cliquish and there's so much drama and gossip. I miss my old friends."

Since I started pastoring at Sardinia Baptist Church, I have known the reverse of what Sarah experienced. I went from a very large church to a small congregation.

All along it has struck me that small churches have some genuine advantages over the megachurches - and having our companions chosen for us is not the least among them. 

There is actually a larger world of faith in a smaller country church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment