Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

THE LONG GOODBYE

Today was a long day. Caleb's graduation program began at 8:00 am - a beautiful ceremony on a beautiful summer morning. 



Pretty sure Caleb is in there somewhere:


Afterwards, we each wanted our picture taken with the man of the hour. 






Then he disappeared for a couple of hours, but by 11:30 or so, we got possession of him for the next 7 or 8 hours. 

Like yesterday, we worked at fattening him up a bit. Hamburgers for lunch. Pizza for dinner. Ice cream in between.

I don't know if others in the family felt it, but today was a bit sadder to me. Like a long goodbye. Tomorrow the military flies him to Fort Bragg, North Carolina for his internship.


I know that he'll be back home in a month, so it's not a goodbye for long. 

I guess the sadness came from reality smacking me upside the head today. 

You know - the bigger picture.

You see, after he has a handful of days at home in August, Caleb will be starting his senior year of college. And then? Well, he's 21 now and upon graduation from Wabash, he will be "stationed" somewhere with the military.

And only God knows where at this point. 

No more summers off.

I have no doubt HE is ready. But his mom and I? Not so much.

I am guessing this entire final year of college is going to feel like a long goodbye for Melissa and me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment