Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, July 7, 2022

SERMON PROJECT

It's midnight and I just finished a big assignment for one of my doctoral classes. I had to take a 650 page book containing 60 sermons from John Wesley and summarize his teachings on 21 different doctrines across those sermons. My final paper was 20 pages single-spaced. And now I am cross-eyed and ready to drop into bed. 

But I have enough energy to make one observation about this project before I sleep: originally I assumed this would be a rather fruitless exercise. But over the last few weeks - even though I disliked how it the deadline was always hanging over my head - I came to really appreciate Wesley's preaching and how much I personally could still receive from his sermons 250 years later. It's actually really good stuff and he is full of profound observations about Scripture. 

I plan to figure out a way to share some of the best bits here in the future. You, too, might be surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment