Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, July 21, 2022

LITERALLY

Jesus: "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."

Disciples: "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." (John 11:11-12)

******

The more I think about it, the funnier this exchange gets.

Is this the first recorded incident of believers assuming every word spoken by God must be taken absolutely literally - and thus completely misunderstanding the message?

This reminds me of a friend I had in seminary who had a simple litmus test for who among us were "true believers": 

  • If you believed the earth was created in a literal six day period - as Genesis clearly teaches - you were a Christian.
  • If you did not, you were obviously not a true believer. 

And that's all there was to it.

(I said it was a simple litmus test ... I didn't say it was a good one.) 




No comments:

Post a Comment