Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, July 25, 2022

ROUTINES

At this point in my life, I have two key habits which bookend each day: after waking in the morning I study Scripture and before going to sleep at night I write something for this blog. 

Both are well beyond the threshold of the number of repetitions needed to establish "automaticity" - I no longer have to consciously "remember" to do either. Both feel like a natural part of the rhythm of each day. 

In fact, if I skip either one, I feel "off". Like the day is incomplete. 

Like something important has gone missing. 

It only takes a few days of vacation to realize how habits are built upon daily routines. Stacked one upon another. If the routines are disturbed, various habits crash, at least temporarily. 

Even basic habits. 

For example - I forgot to shave this morning. 

More importantly, my Bible study got squeezed out of place because I slept until 8:00 (after being up until almost 2:00 am last night). Then "vacation things" made demands on my morning.

It didn't feel quite right the rest of the day.

And I doubt it will happen two days in a row. 

This is the first time in my life that I can make such a claim about daily Scripture study ... with sincerity. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment