Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

THE PRESENCE

When I was in my mid-twenties, I worked part-time as the youth pastor at my home church. It was the late 90s and having a "contemporary worship service" every Sunday morning was passing from being "a fad" to being "a must-have". 

My Pastor tasked me with pulling together a worship band. Even though I had no musical ability whatsoever, I knew the teens well and some of them were musicians. Plus, our new contemporary service was going to be aimed at the their type - young and hip.

The band came together fairly easily. We had a drummer, a guitarist, a keyboardist, vocalists, and - most importantly - a super cool bassist. Everyone seemed to enjoy learning songs that had never been played in that sanctuary before. 

After one of our early services, as microphones, the video screen, and musical instruments were cleared off the platform, our bassist, Gavin, sat on the communion rail and continued to plunk around on his instrument. 

To me, in that moment, Gavin was the epitome of cool and the up-and-coming face of the church.

Not everyone saw the same thing.

Every church has at least one "busybody" - the member who seems omnipresent and runs his or her mouth nonstop with either the latest church gossip or an opinion on the sermon, the song choice, or the holiday decorations.

Our busybody was named George, and when he saw Gavin sitting on the communion rail, he didn't see "cool", he saw something more akin to "blasphemy". 

Red-faced, he made a beeline for the Pastor.

Like a Pharisee of old, George asked a question he thought would trap the Pastor into addressing Gavin's sacrilege: "Can you tell me what parts of the front of the sanctuary are holy?" 

The Pastor's answer would have made Jesus proud: "The only thing truly holy in the front of this sanctuary is the Spirit's presence."  

No comments:

Post a Comment