Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, July 10, 2022

ABSENCE

I had the opportunity to preach this morning at Hope United Methodist Church on Galatians 2:10, where Peter, James, and John send Paul on his way asking him only to "continue to remember the poor". 

It was my first time to be back in my mother's church since she passed away almost three years ago. 

I underestimated how it would hit me emotionally.

Melissa began wiping away tears as we sang the hymn just before I stood up to preach, and that couldn't help but trigger tears of my own.

If you didn't know my mom, you might not know that she had a powerful singing voice. It was one of her greatest gifts. So it was during the hymns this morning that her absence was most noticeable.

Even though it was painful, I loved hearing from the pastor and many church members this morning how much they miss my mother's presence. 

I do too. 


1 comment: