Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, February 13, 2022

PRAYER WITHOUT FOUNDATION

Yesterday, I wrote about how my increasing discipline towards reading and studying Scripture is leading me to desire greater discipline in prayer.

This is a healthy progression, for sure. 

Developing a good understanding and appreciation for Scripture can prevent our prayer life from going astray. Without a biblical foundation for our prayers, we are likely to waste time and effort in asking for the wrong things (best case scenario) or act unwisely based on faulty discernment of God's voice in answering us (worst case scenario).

The classic example of what I mean is the man, struggling in his marriage, who goes off to pray in solitary. He returns to tell his pastor, "God is telling me to get a divorce because I am not happy."

Isolated from Scripture, it is difficult to distinguish between God's direction and wishful thinking.

Or between God's direction and Satan's lies. 

Hopefully that man has a good pastor, who replies, "God is undoubtedly telling you no such thing. Let's turn to the Bible." 



No comments:

Post a Comment