Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

PARENTAL ADVICE WIN

It is a few minutes after 3:00 pm. My daughter's school day has ended and she has entered the school auditorium by now, God willing. 

As I write this, I am anxiously awaiting a verdict. Was yesterday's parental advice to Sarah wise?

Or did we set her up for trauma?

Sarah came home from school yesterday torn. Her school is pulling together a musical in the next few weeks and Sarah would love to be one of the background dancers. 

But even the background dancers have to audition. And that involves singing a solo in front of an audience of 40 classmates and adults. 

A daunting prospect!

The thought of it left Sarah bouncing between "I can do that" and "I am going to embarrass myself to death". 

After texting a friend later in the evening, she came to the kitchen and announced, "My friend isn't going to audition, so I have decided not to do it either. I am just going to be a part of the crew - backstage. Such a relief!" 

In that moment, I recognized myself in her: looking for an excuse to back away from what I feared might happen. And missing a golden opportunity.

And so her mother and I both spoke up. I think Sarah expected to hear "Well, it's your decision ..."

Instead, we repeated our confidence in her ... and urged her to face her fears.

This morning, although she lost a night of sleep, Sarah said she was going to audition after school.

****

It's now 10:00 pm and I am happy to report that Sarah stuck around after school - for almost three hours - and then took her turn on the stage and sang her song. 

She said her stomach was in a knot all day. She had considered backing out but then decided all her anxiety would have been for nothing. 

Now we wait to see if she made the cut.

For dinner we celebrated with some Chinese take-out from Yee Kee. 

Sarah was exhausted but nothing could wipe that smile off her face all evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment