Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, February 18, 2022

AVOIDING CONTROVERSY

When Melissa and I finally resigned from that mission organization and came to terms with the reality of not returning to Haiti, we started to look for work here in Indiana.

Not knowing exactly what God's plan was for our future, I entertained the idea of pastoring a local church. 

A position came open within commuting distance of Columbus - a church we were already familiar with and liked. A church that had financially supported our work in Haiti. 

I applied. 

During the interview the committee asked why we had left Haiti. I did my best to explain - in an evenhanded way - the false accusations that we had endured. And all the pain and controversy that attended those accusations. 

Before the interview ended, the committee said that they were asking for a sample sermon on video from all candidates to review as part of their process. I said that I would have to record one since I didn't have one on file, but I would get right on it.

A few days later a representative of the church called to say not to bother with the sermon. They had discussed my application already and decided I wouldn't be a good fit for the church.

I decided to be bold: "Can I ask why?"

The reply was honest: "It was mainly the accusations that were made against you. That controversy just made the committee nervous."

I didn't fight it, of course. No use in that. 

But it did make me wonder...

Was the church planning to avoid the preaching of anyone who had ever been embroiled in false accusations and controversy going forward? 

If so, might that severely limit even the material from the New Testament they deem useable?

After all, what's the New Testament without the preaching of Jesus or Paul?


2 comments: