Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 160 - Toy Handcuffs (Throw ... before somebody gets hurt!)

I was called into the boys' room this evening to the sight of Dats (age 9) squirming around with his wrists handcuffed together behind his back.  And these aren't the cheap plastic type - they are full-on metal.  We eventually freed one hand, but the other side of the cuffs was stuck and getting tighter.  It seemed to have something jammed into its "lock" mechanism.  Once we finally pried the cuffs completely off, Melissa insisted we throw these things away.  OK by me since I hadn't yet found anything to toss today.

I love a good excuse to throw some of the kids' toys away - especially since they tend to collect new toys  faster than we can dispense with the old ones.  The other day I took The Princess (age 4) out to lunch - just the two of us - on an impromptu date since The Drama Queen (now age 9) had banned The Princess from a birthday tea party.  The Princess and I had a great meal together and then popped over to Walmart for a few items on my grocery list. 

I told The Princess that she could get a SMALL toy since she had been so good.  She said, "Yeah, I already have lots of BIG toys, so I don't need anymore big toys... but I do need more small toys."  I told her that she actually had plenty of each, but that I would be happy to get her something small. 

All the toys that caught her eye were in the twenty to thirty dollar range!  After getting a few NOs from me, she finally said, "Well, show me which toys are ON SALE."

After looping up and down several aisles and still not finding any toys that interested her but were in my price range, she lamented in a sad little voice, "Well, I guess I'm not going to get a small toy today...."

I was so proud, thinking that my little girl was going to just let it go so easily!

But then she perked up and proclaimed, "I'm just going to have to get a BIG toy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment