Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 163 - Running Bibs (Throw)


Found some more running souvenirs - bibs from various races.  Once pinned proudly to my shirt as I ran around downtown Indianapolis ... now just clutter on a shelf.  Thought I should toss them.  No big deal.

I have a co-worker who is trying to sell her mini-marathon spot.  I didn't register this year because it costs $50 and we need to be saving money wherever possible.  My co-worker is selling her spot for $25.  I'm tempted, but even if it were free, I haven't done any serious long runs for 7 or 8 months.  Nothing over 7 miles recently and the mini is 13.1 miles! 

I did go for a run last night and it felt really good.  4 miles.  Now that I'm done with Lenten fasting, I have some spare calories to keep me going.

Speaking of Lent ... I have to tell you how proud I am of Dats (age 9 ... for one more week!) and The Drama Queen (newly age 9) and Ida (age 7).  The first two gave up candy for Lent and Ida gave up chips.  (And just so you know, it wasn't because I pushed them to do it ... they decided on their own.)  Honestly, I didn't think they'd last more than a couple of days.  But they all stuck to it!

I learned something the other day about Lenten fasting and it was kind of embarassing!  Fasting for Lent was not a part of my church's tradition while I was growing up.  It was seen as a "Catholic thing".  I was always told that Lent was 40 days leading to Easter but I never looked closely at a calendar.  This year, about one point mid-way through Lent, I was trying to do the math in my head and something wasn't adding up right, but ... again... I never consulted a calendar. 

Well, the day after Easter I was reading in a book called "Sacred Waiting" and discovered something I never heard before (even in seminary!!):  Lent is actually 46 days long!  And traditionally, the Lenten fast would be maintained for 40 of those days - but excluded Sundays since they are "resurrection days"!  That means, Melissa, the kids and I could have enjoyed Sundays off from our fasts without guilt of conscience!  Who knew?

Not me. 

Now I do.

1 comment:

  1. Sheesh, Steve, even I knew that. Well, actually, I knew it right before Lent started. Our minister talked about it. I decided that I would still give up caffeine on the Sundays, though, because I didn't want to have caffeine withdrawal headaches every week.

    ReplyDelete