Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

TRUTH BIAS

Here's another psychological phenomenon that has fascinated me since I became aware of it this past year: Truth Bias.

In essence, we all think we have a built in truth detector. We are certain we could recognize the "tells" in the face of a liar - the inability to look us in the eye, a telltale smirk, or a bit of sweat on the brow. 

In reality, we are unduly predisposed towards believing other people and absolutely lousy at picking up on lies. 

I guess that makes sense. In order for society to function, we can't be questioning every little thing people say or everything we read. 

But this inherent "truth bias" leaves us vulnerable to lies of all sorts - from little white lies to propaganda. And in this age, those lies can come from all directions - from strangers to co-workers to news media. 

In my experience, the biggest trouble comes from those individuals who have discovered through time and experience that they will be believed automatically even when they lie. Or, at the very least, they can sow enough uncertainty to stir up plenty of drama and gain allies. They seem to intuit the truth bias in others and take great advantage of it. 

I have watched quite a few of these types on TV over the years. And I have known a few personally in my lifetime. 

Have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment