Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, June 20, 2021

THE EVER-EVOLVING JOB OF FATHERHOOD

Among dozens of things "they" don't tell you about being a father, there's this: the job is constantly evolving.

As soon as you've mastered the art of diaper changes, protecting favorite stuffed animals from being lost or misplaced, and finding your kids' shoes when it's time to leave the house, you get bumped up to the next playing level. 

Then starts school stuff with separation anxieties (on both sides!) and projects and school plays. 

And sports and dance classes and cub scouts.

Now I've advanced to car questions and career advice and workplace hassles. 

This Father's Day felt like I have one foot squarely in a familiar previous level and one tentatively in the next. The great unknown. 

Take a look at my gifts:




When did my kids start buying me Scotch Whiskey for Father's Day? (Well, they didn't - the oldest is still just 20. So they needed Melissa's help with that one.) And on the flip side, I also get the homemade card and ... a hand-painted ornament of some sort? Granted, the card is no longer addressed to "dady", but still it's a throwback to a previous level. And for that I am thankful. 

Who knows what new skills are required in this next level? 

Like the other levels, I guess I will find out what is needed along the way and take my best shot. Fortunately, so far my kids have made it fairly easy on me. Fingers crossed that that will continue!

I am blessed. And continue learning on the job.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment