Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, June 24, 2021

POWER OF HABIT

I have started to reread Charles Duhigg's The Power of Habit. It's a fascinating book and so incredibly relevant.

And here's what I mean by relevant: "One paper published by a Duke University researcher in 2006 found that more than 40 percent of the actions people performed each day weren't actual decisions, but habits." (xvi)

Let that sink in: almost half of what the average person does during any given day is simply acting out habits, for better or for worse.

As I write this, it is nearly midnight, I am hopped up on Nyquil, and my head hurts. But I have created a habit since the start of 2021 of writing something for this blog each day. And now it has become almost automatic. Since the first month, I don't even find myself ever slipping into bed having forgotten to write. 

It just happens now. Every day. No matter how I feel or what else is going on. 

I need to put serious thought into creating other positive habits! 





No comments:

Post a Comment