Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, June 7, 2021

COINCIDENCES

I realized long ago that I don't have to worry about hearing God's voice when I am at a crossroad, fearing I might miss what God would direct. 

What I realized was this: God knows me so well that he knows exactly how to get my attention, exactly what will catch my ear. If I am sincere in wanting to know God's direction for my life, I can be confident he will get through to me clearly.

God made us as unique creatures, so this differs for each person. I don't know how God chooses to speak to you, but here's what God knows will speak to me: nature, music, irony and weird coincidences. 

As I have mentioned here, I am currently pondering my third career - after youth ministry and teaching. What does the Lord have in mind for me: do I keep teaching? Go back into ministry? Something else entirely?

So here's a weird coincidence: A few nights ago, in relation to finding new deep friendships (not as a serious possible next step) I jokingly wrote "Maybe I should go back to school". 

Then a day or two later, during the wedding reception, while talking to my friend Matt, who is now the president of a seminary in Mississippi, I mentioned that I was feeling a bit adrift with my calling/career. And he said point blank: "Whenever I hear someone say they're not sure what to do, I give the same advice every time: 'Go back to school!'" 

Then he told me about a unique opportunity through his school and I am definitely planning to look into it. (I have no choice - Matt can be wonderfully persistent. He has already emailed me a whole bunch of information.) I will gladly tell you more if/when I move forward ...

Until then, I humbly request your prayers for discernment.

(P.S. To be clear, this would not entail full-time enrollment, uprooting the family, or quitting my current job. It would be in "addition to" rather than "instead of".)

No comments:

Post a Comment