Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, May 31, 2021

GOD'S WILL

For years my understanding of "God's will" was pretty darn limited. "Seeking God's will" was something that came up only at certain major forks in the road of life.

Which college do I attend? What should I study? Should I take this job offer or not? Is this girl "the one"? 

I grew up reciting the Lord's Prayer on a regular basis each Sunday morning in worship. But even then, "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" meant "Lord, guide my major decisions so I don't depart from the path you have for me". 

It wasn't until my flight back to the U.S. after my first trip to Haiti in 2010 that God expanded my understanding of what Scripture meant by "God's will". 

I would have to go back and search through my journals from the time to find exactly what passage triggered my deeper understanding, but it might have been something like:

"Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." (Jesus in Mark 3:35)

Anyway, it dawned on me that God had certain things - important things! - that he was trying to accomplish here on earth RIGHT NOW and that my job as a Christian was to find out where he was at work and put the gifts that he had given me to use, day in and day out. 

The dawning was instantaneous. I had been thinking of God's will much too narrowly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment