Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, May 20, 2021

THERE'S A CHANCE I AM WRONG

"Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." - George Bernard Shaw

 

I am very willing to admit I might be wrong. 

It occurred to me long ago that chances are mighty slim that I am 100% correct in all my beliefs and opinions - my judgments about politics, theology, entertainment, as well as the character of friends, coworkers, and enemies. 

Now, believe me, it sure FEELS like I am right about absolutely everything I believe, but everyone else feels the exact same way, even people who hold beliefs that are diametrically opposed to my own. 

What if I have a friend who is an avowed atheist? I, obviously, believe in a God who rules over the universe. 

One of us feels incredibly, confidently right but is absolutely wrong.  

So I know that just because I FEEL right does not necessarily mean I AM right. 

So, realistically am I likely to be even 95% correct in all my beliefs? 

90%? 

75%?

At the very least, a little humility seems to be in order whenever I go asserting my strongly held opinions. 

And, maybe if I listen closely, I might learn something that will change my mind ... for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment