Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Heart Heavy for Haiti

Maybe tomorrow I will write about what I threw away today, but right now it doesn't seem worth talking about.  I read a couple of articles tonight about the cholera outbreak in Haiti and it's all quite scary and confusing.  One article on Yahoo said that there had been violence today in Cap Haitien - where Melissa and I visited.  It said the roads were blocked and the airport was closed down - that would be the same airport where I flew in and out of Haiti just a month ago. 

Apparently, rumors are spreading that the cholera strain that has now killed over a thousand Haitians was brought into the country by the UN.  The UN, of course, claims it's not true and has raised suspicions that someone is stirring the people up to violence with the hope of scoring politically in some way.  The presidential elections are just over a week away.  Who knows the truth?

I'm hoping those who leave comments after Yahoo news stories are not representative of the American people as a whole, because the icing on top of all the horror and confusion in Haiti is the soul-less nature of the comments after the article.  They are so disturbing.  Over half of the comments (and there were only 20 when I looked, thank goodness) use terrible pejoratives for Haitians, or say they deserve what they get, or say something to the effect of "leave them to their own destruction".   Terrible.

I am far from an expert on Haiti, but I do know one thing.  God loves the people of Haiti and wants them as His children - and many, many have already surrendered their lives to Christ.  God has not given up on them.  The situation there makes me think of what God tells Jonah about the city of Ninevah:  "Ninevah has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left.... Should I not be concerned about that great city?"

Please pray for the people of Haiti and the missionaries who are serving there.

No comments:

Post a Comment