Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 9 - Giant Turtle (Give)

While sitting at dinner tonight, we had a clear view of our neighbors working to clean and winterize their pool.  (Mine was done weeks ago ... I've learned my lesson!)  Melissa had mentioned that while I was in Haiti, these particular neighbors had expressed an interest in checking out our church sometime.  Since we won't be needing any inflatable pool toys in Haiti, this seemed like a good opportunity to give something away AND follow up on their earlier interest. 

I have to admit that we have lived here five years now and that is the first time I have set foot in our neighbors' house.  God forgive me!  Why is it so hard to even invest time in getting to know our neighbors, much less to share the gospel with them??  I don't want to travel all the way to Haiti in order to share the gospel without first doing all I can to share Jesus with the folks right here around us. 

A couple from our church lives just a few houses down from us and they do a fantastic job of reaching out to neighbors.  In fact, what little contact Melissa and I have had with folks on our street over the last few years has come mostly by way of the neighborhood cookouts, ice cream socials, and other gatherings that this couple has hosted at their house.  At least two or three times a year they come knocking on our door with an invitation.  I want to be like that!  What are we so bashful about?  And what do we have to do that is more pressing than loving our neighbors as ourselves?

OK, I grew up shy and introverted.  And for the time being I need an excuse to strike up a conversation with my neighbors ... and my project to daily Throw, Give or Sell might provide just that.  My hope is that it will stretch me to the point where I can be bold for Christ without a gimmick! 

Our neighbor did ask why we were giving away the giant turtle.  We briefly explained the call we have been feeling to minister in Haiti and she was excited for us.  She said she would like to visit our church sometime but it's hard for them to get moving on a Sunday morning.  Maybe we can make arrangements this coming Saturday with them to go together Sunday morning to the second service. 

It was an opening but there's so much more to talk about.  Maybe I'll take them a leftover bottle of chlorine next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment