Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 5 - the Crib (Sell)

I put our crib set on craigslist tonight.  Our "baby" turns FOUR in January!  This is another one of those deals where something has been sitting around the house for months and I just haven't acted on it.  The Princess moved into a big bed probably a year ago.  The crib was dismantled and stored in the shed along with the rocker.  The dressing table sat in the corner of the Princess' room for months.  Then, a few weeks back, we hauled the whole set to a community garage sale, set the crib up one last time, and ... took it all back home afterwards!  At least I was smart enough to snap a few pictures while it was all set up.  Hopefully the pictures will help it sell on craigslist.

I have to admit that it will hurt my heart a bit when that furniture finally goes out the door.  It will be a stark reminder that our kids are growing up ... and so fast.  But an extra $350 in my pocket would help sooth the pain.

In a related note: as we've started sharing our plans to move our family to Haiti, one of the most common responses has been, "How can you do that to your kids?"  Our kids are sturdy and flexible.  They will flourish wherever they are.  Our oldest, "Dats" (his sister's nickname for him), is all excited about learning Creole words and phrases - he has been checking out the kids' page on the OMS website with his younger sister, the Drama Queen.  While I was in Haiti, I kept thinking how much fun our kids would have climbing trees and chasing lizards.  But much more importantly, Melissa and I have decided that the safest and best place for our entire family is wherever God calls us.  I know that Melissa and I are hoping to teach at the missionary school, but I will be anxious to see what sort of ministry the Lord has in mind for each of our kids in Haiti.

2 comments:

  1. We seem to think we're the ones who protect our children. True,there is a definite role that we take making sure they are in a safe environment, but the Lord taught me years ago that He is the ultimate protector. He knows what is best for us and He cares for our children and protects them WAY more than we ever could. American children are spoiled beyond reason. My children know little about not having and doing without. It so sickens me at times. I respect your desire to take Jesus to the world Steve. Your children will be blessed in a way that only God can bless. Their wholeness will come not from material items but from their personal relationship with Jesus (and at a young age). That is the best gift ever.

    ReplyDelete