Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 17 - Crossword Puzzles, Books and Underwear (Give)

No, not mine.  I still need mine, but the Princess recently outgrew her first set of underwear.  Fortunately, we have several friends with young kids of various sizes and ages and we tend to pass clothes around - until they get worn out.  It's good to see clothing get a second life - especially when I remember some of the kids in Haiti who were lacking clothes or wearing outfits that were way too snug. 

We got the chance to watch Steve and Keri's kids for a while this evening while they had a couple of things to do.  Believe me, it's no sacrifice:  her kids come in and they disappear into our kids' bedrooms to play and Melissa and I can actually have an uninterrupted conversation!  When Keri returned to pick up the kids, she and they ended up joining us for dinner and then taking home a small stack of books that our kids cleaned out of their rooms this past weekend.  We have children's books flowing off the shelves.  We are blessed in how much our kids love to read. 

The crossword puzzle book was something I found in a drawer the other day and had sitting on my desk now at school.  During a mid-day passing period, one of my former students came bopping up to me and said, "How about giving me a piece of candy for Thanksgiving?"  I said, "It's not Thanksgiving."  She replied, "Well, you got something besides candy?"  "You like crossword puzzles?"  "Yup."  "Here you go."  She thanked me, turned on her heals and bopped back out of the classroom.  One more thing out of the house!

Update 1:  My little 8th grade boy came in before the school day started to claim the plaque I had displayed yesterday, so it falls officially into the category of Give rather than Throw.  When he came to class in the afternoon, he announced that he had taped it up inside his locker.  What?  All I know is that the words of Jesus, typo notwithstanding, are now displayed in a student locker... and that's pretty cool.  Do you suppose Isaiah 55:11 applies?   "So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Update 2:  The table and chairs were picked up by somebody within 24 hours of being placed at the front curb.

Update 3:  Craigslist has garnered only a single nibble so far on the crib set.  I might have to put it in the local paper.  I'd like to have it out of the shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment