Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 8 - Blue Like Jazz (Give)

Before the Dare...
Tonight we had a great opportunity to gather at OMS headquarters at Beka's invitation.  All but one of our mission team to Haiti was able to make it.  We had a great meal together and then toured the OMS facility before hearing from Beka about her journey with God.  At the end of the evening, her parents led us all in prayer for her.  I wished we didn't have school tomorrow so that we could all just hang out together for several more hours.  Responsibilities stink!

I took the opportunity to ride with my new little brother, Todd, on the way to Greenwood this evening.  We really haven't had a chance to catch up to any extent since we got back from Haiti.  Todd was my roommate for most of that week.  He's the young, adventurous type.  Our team had the chance to chill for a day on a gorgeous beach with some of the missionaries from the compound.  When lunch was served, one of the plates was a whole fish - nose to tail.  I dared Todd to eat one of the eyeballs with me.  I was hoping he would turn me down.  He didn't.  So I couldn't just call him a wimp and then laugh the whole thing off ... I had to go through with it.

During the Dare...

I was not expecting it to be crunchy, so I was a bit disgusted ... as you can tell from my facial expression.   There was a small, hard, pearl-like globe at the center which I took to be the lens.  I cleaned up this "pearl", stashed it in my camera case and brought it back to Indiana.  It was my one souvenir that held the most fascination for my four kids once I got back home!

Anyway, on the ride to Greenwood tonight, I gave Todd my copy of Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" (subtitled "Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality").  I know ... it's easy to give away books.  I'll need to find something a bit more challenging this week.  Melissa says she wants the house ready to put on the market in a few weeks.  Yikes!

Todd, let me know when you get around to reading the book... I'll be curious to hear your impressions.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for the book, Steve...and thanks for the fish eye too lol

    ReplyDelete