Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, January 8, 2024

TYPICAL

This past week I put my finger on a personal mindset I seem to have held since a young age - one which has served me well: "I don't want to be a typical anything."

This was as close as my fragile self-esteem could get me to "I'm going to be #1!" 😉

My goal is to beat the average. I aim for the top 5%, I suppose.

In practice, it means on some deep level, I refuse to settle for being...

  • A typical man
  • A typical husband
  • A typical father
  • A typical teacher
  • A typical preacher
  • A typical Christian

Did you notice anything as you were reading the word "typical" throughout that list?

What does it say about human nature - and our approach to life - that the word "typical" has overwhelmingly negative connotations?!

It makes me sad to say, but it doesn't really take much effort to be atypical in this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment