Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, January 14, 2024

COMING BAPTISMS

It was a great morning at Sardinia Baptist Church. I was preaching on Matthew 3 where the story of John baptizing Jesus is recounted. 

It seems to me that when it comes to baptism, we need to find middle ground between those who say baptism is an absolute necessity for salvation, with no unbaptized soul allowed into heaven (like the Mormons) and those who consider baptism to be entirely optional (like a lot of folks who grow up in the church). 

As I was working through the passage this week, it seemed to me that baptism is more than a ritual or ceremony. It is an experience.

It's an experience to which we are invited and commanded.

And since I have never consciously had the experience of baptism - being sprinkled as an infant - I think it's valid for me to consider myself unbaptized.

And so I do.

And now that I do, I plan to change that.

At the end of the service, I invited any others who desired to be baptized to join me up front - and a father and his son came forward!

This is going to be good...

No comments:

Post a Comment