Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

RENEWAL

As I have been pondering the role of imagination in life and faith - coming to the conclusion that we live primarily in our imagination and only secondarily in reality - it occurred to me that one of my favorite verses might speak to the issue.

In Romans 12:2 Paul writes, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God."

It seems fairly obvious to me that "renewing your mind" does not mean "learn more stuff". 

How does our understanding of this text deepen if we read it as "be transformed by the renewing of your imagination"?

*****


By the way, speaking of renewal - I am currently in Wilmore, Kentucky for a long overdue retreat with my two best friends from seminary days. Tim and Jamie and I will be together for the next two and a half days. 

We are off to a good start - Asbury has been incredibly hospitable in giving us time and space for catching up on all the most important aspects of life. Perhaps I will have some photos to share tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment