Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

SECONDHAND

An old high school classmate of mine posted about his adult son on Facebook: "I am really not a religious person, but my son could use all the prayers he can get. He has just entered a rehabilitation center."

It's heartbreaking. Not only because of all the pain and destruction which addiction brings, but even more because this man seems to grasp on some level that faith holds the key.

But the key is not in his hand. He is left to summon secondhand faith.

It seems to me an indictment of the church that my old friend has no idea that authentic Christian faith offers exactly what he desires for his son: the breaking of bondage to sin followed by an actual desire AND ability to live a new, righteous life. 

It is doubtful the radical transformation my friend desires for his son could come apart from the power of God. I fear neither of them will find it in a culture of discount Christianity. 

I will pray, of course.

But will secondhand faith suffice for this father or his son?

No comments:

Post a Comment