Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, April 22, 2022

BETRAYED BY CHEESE?

Tonight I fear I have discovered the cause and the cure for two minor health issues that have plagued me for years. 

Problem #1 is in my left ear. It's like a perpetual ear infection without the pain: the sort of sound distortion you get when your ears don't "pop" as you drive up a mountain. It especially bothers me with hearing my own voice. I have stopped singing in church because of it. 

(A minor inconvenience since I don't care to sing along with most of the contemporary praise songs anyway.)

The other problem is my voice itself. I catch myself clearing my throat quite a bit and - lately - feeling like my vocal cords are tightening up when I speak. My words come out strangled. Like my hearing issue, some days it's worse than others.

On our evening walk two days ago, Melissa commented on how much I clear my throat lately. We had never talked about it before. She suggested I might need to "see somebody". 

With that conversation, something clicked inside my head. Melissa has certainly learned in recent years how much certain foods can affect her health. How a person can develop allergies or "sensitivities" over time. 

My morning coffee was lately making my throat worse rather than better... ever since I had started buying my own creamer instead of using Melissa's almond milk.

What if the culprit is milk?

I have never had a dairy allergy before but ...

          A) I am now 54, and things do fall apart.

          B) Allergies, I know, can develop suddenly.

          C) Allergies, I also know, can start mild and progress to unbearable.

So I decided to cut out dairy entirely as an experiment. 

And I am sad to report that after just 48 hours my hearing has improved. 

I am hoping it's my imagination...

No comments:

Post a Comment