Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, April 15, 2022

TYPOS

Sometimes I think it would be cool to write a book. But I don't know if I could ever do it. 

Not because I wouldn't have enough opinions or stories to fill a book. And not because I couldn't figure out how to say what I wanted to say.

The writing part I suppose I could handle. I just would be hesitant to publish it.

Why? 

I am the stereotypical "judgmental English teacher" type. If even one typo made it into MY final publication, I would be mortified. I know I would obsess over that mistake.

"Here's a copy of my book. Please ignore the misspelling at the bottom of page 95." 

And if I made more than one mistake? Lord have mercy. 

It's not like I never make mistakes. I make plenty of mistakes in my writing here and elsewhere. I suppose I catch 99% of them. And the ones I don't see, I can always go back later and edit.

But a mistake in a book? That's forever.

I bring this up because I have been reading a book about how John Wesley nurtured spiritual formation in other people.

Chapter 1 was fine, but apparently the author's proofreader quit before tackling Chapter 2, where the author discusses various influences on Wesley's approach. There's a mistake on every page, beginning with the first. 

The second sentence of the first paragraph reads "By 1742, the general format of [Wesley's] educational framework was complete, except for minor altercations." 

And I thought, "What an unfortunate typo - to add a 'c' and accidentally turn 'changes' into 'fights'."

But when the author wrapped up the chapter 48 pages later, I came across this sentence: "Wesley's methodology continued to undergo minor altercations, but the pattern remained basically unchanged throughout his lifetime."

And my heart ached for the author. I said a little prayer for him.

I could never publish a book.*

--------------------------------------------------------

(*Maybe I could - I would just have to hire ten proofreaders.)

No comments:

Post a Comment