Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

TOO SERIOUS

Fresh out of college, I worked as a youth pastor for two United Methodist churches in northwest Iowa. My roommate, Ray, was a funny little guy who worked as a youth pastor at a different church. 

To my shame I must admit that Ray was further along in his faith and more intentional about discipling the youth in his care.

I realized this when he received a complaint from a parent - mom was upset that her high school aged son, under Ray's guidance, was "taking his faith too seriously". 

At the time I thought it was an odd complaint. 

Thirty years later, and now a parent of a teenager myself, I don't find it odd really. 

More like "horrifying".

At dinner tonight, Sarah (newly 15!) told us something her mother and I were unaware of. Her friend Lily had given her a Scripture memory device as a birthday gift. It consists of 52 Scripture verses on magnetic cards and a display holder. 

A verse a week to learn by heart.

A bit surprised, we challenged her. And Sarah rattled off the first two verses from memory.

She says she now often rehearses the passages internally as she navigates the hectic hallways at school.

Can you imagine feeling anything but thrilled and grateful to hear something like that from your teenage daughter? 

I can't. 

She is taking her faith seriously, thank the Lord!

And thank the Lord for strong, godly friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment