Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

REDUCTION

Today I completed a three month meander through the gospel of Matthew during my morning Scripture reading. It has been incredibly edifying for my faith - daily I have seen things that had never before struck me as significant.

And with my new perspective, I am left with a true head-scratcher. 

You know, I am sure, that Matthew ends his account with what we call The Great Commission, the last words Jesus says to his disciples before his ascension to heaven: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Baptism is how Jesus's ministry got rolling back in chapter 3. John the Baptist's message was simply "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near". Jesus then spent three YEARS teaching his commands to his disciples and crowds in public, day in and day out. 

So, that's our reference point for The Great Commission, right?

So here's the puzzle: How in the world did evangelism become an activity separated from the whole process of making disciples?


No comments:

Post a Comment