Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

DEVOTIONS

I don't want to name any names, so I will just say it is "a currently famous pastor". 

This guy is cranking out podcasts on "leadership", and I listened to a couple the other day. 

Before I say anything more, I will confess that I have a bias against this guy. My gut doesn't like him. A little too smooth and not very deep, that's my general impression. 

(I could be wrong.)

These particular podcasts caught my attention because his subject was habit formation. 

On the front end he gave credit to Charles Duhigg and James Clear for their research and their books on the topic, but he really should have sprinkled the credit throughout his entire teaching because it was ALL stuff I had read in Duhigg and Clear with only the smallest of variations. 

But what really bothered me was that in all his talk of good habits leaders should develop, there was virtually no mention of spiritual disciplines. Sure, he had some nice ideas - like developing a habit of writing notes of appreciation daily - but where was prayer? Where was fasting? Where was Scripture?

The only mention of a spiritual habit was a quick run down of his morning routine: something like "I shower, I have breakfast, I do my devotions, then I kiss my wife and head to work". 

"Do devotions"? That struck me as odd, at least for a nationally known pastor. 

"Doing devotions" has the connotation of sitting down with a "Guideposts" magazine devotional for five minutes. Am I wrong?

Just my opinion, but pastors worth their salt do not "do devotions". They "study Scripture" and they pray. 

What do you think? Is that a too casual way to refer to something which should be central to a pastor's role? Or is this just my confirmation bias looking for something to criticize about this guy?


No comments:

Post a Comment