Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, September 18, 2021

RUNNING PARTNER

Samuel came home for the weekend after his first month away at Ball State University. He is loving college life so far and we are grateful.

Samuel has been doing some physical training with ROTC there in Muncie and he has discovered the joy of running, so we hit the people trail together this morning - after I got some coffee in me. 

Samuel let me set the pace and we didn't break any records, but it wasn't terrible considering we were talking as we went. (Not to mention the fact that I am just a few weeks past Covid recovery.)

It may be a couple of years now since I ran three miles during one outing, but I did it today.

And I don't remember the last time I ran two miles consecutively without at least a bit of walking in between, but I did that today as well.

I was struck by what I could accomplish - and how much longer I could persevere - just by having someone running beside me each step of the way. 

It left me thinking tonight ...

One of the things I truly miss about our life in Haiti is working alongside Melissa on a daily basis, doing work that was important and that we both believed in. Now I head off to my job and she heads off to hers and then we catch up on each other's lives over dinner or as we walk the dogs. 

It's not the same. 

And it's not as good. 

Running alone is just not as enjoyable or productive. 


"Two are better than one, because they have a good return 

for their work." Ecclesiastes 4:9 





No comments:

Post a Comment