Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, September 19, 2021

PRAYING OUT LOUD

Once started, habits occasionally have a way of evolving and growing. One morning habit I started with the new school year has done just that. And I am excited. 

It started as an effort to use my 15 minute morning commute as a time for prayer instead of mindlessly listening to the radio. It wasn't difficult to remember to pray each day when I got on the road, so the habit took root pretty quickly. 

A week or two ago, I added a new twist: I started praying out loud.

I don't know why it had never occurred to me before - I am alone in the car, it is quiet, and I have time.

For years I have heard people advise praying out loud as a way to focus your mind and make the experience all that much more ... real, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I can report that that is exactly what I have been experiencing recently; it feels like the beginning of a significant deepening of my prayer life. Time will tell.

Funny how such a simple thing can make a significant difference in a significant pillar of our spiritual life. 

If it's not already a part of your prayer habits, give it a try. It might take a couple of days to get past any initial awkwardness, but keep going until you do. It will be worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment