Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, June 9, 2024

OUR FATHER

For almost a year now I have been praying the Lord's Prayer on a daily basis - pausing over whichever line catches my attention on any particular morning.

I have been amazed at how much is packed into those few lines.

And even today I was introduced to a new thought concerning the opening words - "Our Father who art in heaven".

Many have commented on the collective nature of the prayer, with Jesus teaching us to use the first person plurals, "we", "us", and "our". 

But I had never considered how those opening words could be understood as Jesus inviting all of us to pray alongside Him, to His Father - who is also our Father.

In other words, the opening "our" includes you, me, AND Jesus, since He is our Brother.

We all have the same Father. 

When we pray the Lord's Prayer, we are praying alongside Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment