Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, June 13, 2024

MY SHORTEST SERMON

As Father’s Day approaches, I find myself reflecting on one of my greatest embarrassments in recent memory.

(But it led to a simple new habit which has deepened my prayer life like no other, so I willingly share the story here with you.)

A year ago, I preached the shortest sermon ever!

I stepped up to the pulpit of Sardinia Baptist Church to preach on Luke 11:1-13, a well-known passage about approaching God as our Father. It begins with Jesus teaching His disciples  “The Lord’s Prayer”.

Our Father which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our sins; as we forgive those who sin against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.

Upon reading those words out loud to the congregation, I suddenly found myself unable to continue. I was overwhelmed by my own hypocrisy - my own prayer life was largely weak and ineffective. I apologized tearfully and sat down.

These days, I’m glad to say, my prayer life is on the upswing – in large part because that failed sermon motivated me to make The Lord’s Prayer a daily habit.

Not  just a mindless recitation, of course. Rather I pray through slowly, lingering over whichever phrase happens to catch my attention any particular morning. And as I go, I repeat the disciples’ request: “Lord, teach us to pray”.

After a year, it’s a practice I desire to share with as many others as I can - including YOU.

I can now personally testify: The Lord’s Prayer is much deeper than I ever gave it credit for. And I believe I have much more yet to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment